November 28, 2013
- Responding to an increase in Asian travelers and independent online bookings
- Creating a reliable platform for delivering information from local governments
- Expanding our product lineup with online bookings for Japan-exclusive inns (ryokan), hot spring lodges (hitou), and more
New Site Addresses
Available as of 13:00, November 28th, 2013
Traditional Chinese, Taiwan:
Traditional Chinese, Hong Kong:
JTB group company and inbound Japan travel specialist, JTB Global Marketing & Travel Inc. (Shinagawa Ward, Tokyo; President and CEO: Hisanori Zama) (hereafter JTBGMT), has undergone a complete website overhaul and relaunch, including a re-designed interface and back end system, on its online booking site for foreign visitors to Japan, JAPANiCAN.com.
JAPANiCAN.com, originally launched in April 2007, began offering specialist tour products aimed at foreign visitors to Japan and, in response to rising popularity and increasing users, has expanded accordingly. In line with the increase in Low Cost Carrier (LCC) services and economic growth in Southeast Asia, the Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) announced on the 20th of this month a 31.5% increase from the previous year in foreign visitors during the month of October (approximately 928,500), and an estimated 8,659,600 visitors in total from January to October of the same year. In October alone, JAPANiCAN.com itself experienced a 203.4% growth compared to the previous year in bookings for accommodation and tours, and further growth is expected, with bookings already being made on the site for dates in 2014 at a steady pace.
With the recent trend toward independent travelers making their travel arrangements and bookings online themselves, the new JAPANiCAN.com site was built around the concept of making the booking process even easier. Also, as numbers of individual travelers from Hong Kong and Thailand continue to grow, language support has been added for Traditional Chinese (Hong Kong) along with a brand new Thai language site.
Improving usability, the new JAPANiCAN.com features a shopping cart functionality to allow customers to choose from a range of tours, hotels, tickets and more, add them to the cart, and complete multiple bookings with one purchase.
Relations with local governments and tourism organizations have also been strengthened with an overhaul of the site’s “Japan Info” section, which now features a new, free platform for these organizations to provide local travel information in multiple languages simply and directly to JAPANiCAN.com users. Also, in collaboration with JTB Group company Asahi Sun Tours, brand new and exclusive content is available only on JAPANiCAN.com introducing two truly Japanese concepts: hitou (hidden hot springs) and bunkaisan (protected cultural buildings providing accommodation).
- 6 language versions of the site, with a redesigned feel and interface directed towards each site’s respective audience. Languages: English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese for Taiwan, Traditional Chinese for Hong Kong (NEW), and Thai (NEW).
- A brand new shopping cart function, allowing multiple bookings of accommodation, tours, tickets and other travel products to be made and paid for at once.
- The ability to create unique itineraries and travel plans with the new “My Trips” function.
- Upgrade of the “Japan Info” section of the site to include a free platform for local government organizations and tourism organizations to provide up-to-date and relevant information on local areas of Japan in multiple languages. The service, through cooperation with JTB regional operating companies, will take advantage of and expand on the deep relations between the JTB Group and the local communities of Japan that have been forged throughout the Group’s long history.
- In collaboration with Asahi Sun Tours, offering information and online bookings unique to Japan and JAPANiCAN.com for exclusive hitou and bunkaisan propertie
<Inquiries from the press or media>
JTB PR Dept., Tel: 03-5796-5833
FIT Business Development Dept., JTB Global Marketing & Travel Inc.